This lighthouse used to steer ships safely into the port of Rotterdam, but today it is the striking starting point for a visit to the Maritime Museum Harbor, right in the heart of the port city. The name of the lighthouse is: “Het Lage Licht” (The Low Light). Build as one of the first lighthouses of Hoek van Holland, the “low” light, was placed during the construction of the Nieuwe Waterweg (1866-1886). The Low Light goes out in 1967 and moves to the head of the Leuvehaven in Rotterdam about ten years later. In 1990 the lighthouse is moved to where it now stands, near the Maritime Museum.