This statue is called “De Verwoeste Stad” (the destroyed city), an statue that Ossip Zadkine made in response to the bombing of Rotterdam. It was unveiled on May 15, 1953 and is located on Plein 1940, on the Leuvehaven, next to the Maritime Museum in Rotterdam. The statue is a national monument. Zadkine got the inspiration for this statue while traveling by train. When the train passed through Rotterdam he saw the destroyed and empty center of the city. The statue is made of bronze and represents a human figure without a heart, symbolizing the heart of Rotterdam that was lost during the bombardment in May 1940.